Life Purpose. Big words eh but for me and I'm guessing you, it's really important to discern what our life purpose from God is because the alternative, is that unsettled feeling which kind of ebbs away at our hearts bit by bit.
Life purpose for us all...
We are here to fulfil our God given purpose and how wonderful is that - little 'ole me that gets it wrong over and over. That God should even give us an individual purpose I find amazing.
I think we all have these deep seated questions about why we are here and what we are to do with our time on earth. Yes, we can live our lives as a blur and flurry of activity but somewhere deep down I feel we all want to find and then attempt to fulfil our life purpose as best we can.
I refer to Holley Gerth's website and her book called You're Made for a God-Sized Dream. If you are struggling on this topic, I would encourage you to read her book (and Holley's blog). There are lots of journal questions to ponder and it really gets to the heart of the matter in a focused and gentle way.
Some life purpose questions to ponder:
- What did you love to do as a child? There is usually some kind of clue that can be applied when thinking of our life purpose.
- Ask a family member or dear friend what your strengths are?
- What activity makes time fly by for you?
- If you could do anything (and money not be a issue), what would you do - even if you didn't get paid?
- How can you use these gifts, interests and strengths to help others?
Below is a video I've created which helps us explore this topic for ourselves using art, scripture and prayer. I create a very loose watercolour sketch/painting and then the video shows me adding the written bible verse (see below) that inspired this post together with me chatting a little of what life purpose means to me and perhaps to you.
The purposes of a person's heart are deep waters, but one who has insight draws them out.